To try and make sense out of the DAM space and the products that are on offer from a technical perspective, I have created the Google Spreadsheet project which lists DAM products tech specs by Vendor. It is my hope (and some can say it already has) that this will become a collaborative effort by the DAM community to parse this information down to its most boiler plate facets.
Its a no frills, no promotional sales language, vendor agnostic, approach to just getting to the basics of the technologies on offer. The focus of the list is on the technology aspects of the products as opposed to the features or strengths. Currently, the document has 70+ collaborators including myself (and we are adding more every day). Please contact me if you like to be added to the list of collaborators or visit the link and request access here.
Below is a list of each column featured on the DAM List:
- Products Offered
- Proprietary or Open Source
- Solutions Offered: Installed, Hosted, SaaS
- Technical Specs: Server (Database)
- Technical Specs: Server (APP/Webserver)
- Technical Specs: Code Base (back-end)
- Technical Specs: Code Base (UI)
- Technical Specs: OS (Server)
- Technical Specs: OS (Client)
- Technical Specs: API (Software)
- Technical Specs: API (Webservice)
- Technical Specs: Search Engine
- Metadata Handling: XMP
- Who’s Using it: non-profits, museums and organizations
- Who’s Using It: corporate and for-profit enterprises
Leave a comment
Metadata and Taxonomies are my thing. I spend an awful lot of time drinking coffee and having existential dilemmas on how to categorize what the hell I do for a living.